Richard Rose - Professional Diploma Therapeutic Life Story Work
2019 / 2020
- 1 July 2019 - 1 June 2020
Berry Street and Child Trauma Intervention Services are excited to be launching the Professional Diploma Therapeutic Life Story Work 2019/2020.
Developed and delivered by international expert Richard Rose, we are planning to run the course in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.
Each course commences in July 2019 and runs over 12 months. Participants will be required to attend 12 days of compulsory classroom training; conduct practical therapeutic life story work with an identified client; complete two written assignments; and deliver an oral presentation. Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive a formal qualification through the Institute for Arts & Therapy in Education (IATE), a higher educational provider in the U.K.
What is Therapeutic Life Story Work?
Therapeutic Life Story Work enables children and young people who have experienced the trauma of child abuse and neglect and who are struggling with the pain of their past to reflect, develop compassion for themselves and move on. It is a defined approach, designed to introduce the past as markers for the present. Once these are understood, the child is supported in considering how to move on to make significant changes, as a result of a far deeper understanding and awareness of how their history has been negatively impacting on their present. In essence, Therapeutic Life Story Work is not just about the who, what, where, when, why and how, but how a painful past, if not reflected on and worked through, can go on to blight the present and future. Instead, if we can help children to think about their history of trauma and loss, to understand its origins and effects, we can identify and understand the ‘ghosts of the past’ so children are no longer haunted by them.
Participants will learn:
- Understand the value and components of Therapeutic Life Story Work
- Understand the various models of information collation
- Communicate with children and understand their emotions
- Interpret and make best use of opportunities in the process
- Improve their skills in working directly with children in terms of life narratives
- Address sensitive and painful issues and turn these into acceptance
- Address trauma and loss with empathic understanding
- Create Life Story Books which are useful, valuable and represent the child
Who Should Attend
- child protection workers
- case workers/case managers in out of home care and youth justice
- family support workers
- behaviour support workers
- counsellors and therapists
- teachers and early childhood educators
- social workers and psychologists
Total Course Fee: $4,200
This includes: $3,600 (inc gst) payable directly to Berry Street $600 payable directly to the Institute of Arts Therapy and Education (IATE) for the issuance of the Professional Diploma qualification (this component does not attract gst). Both of these fees are due prior to the course commencing.
- 1 July 2019 - 1 June 2020